“Just ask her.” My best friend, Yusai, said. He was getting annoyed by my constant refusals and excuses. He knew they were excuses, because he knew me. I knew he did, because I knew him. Eight years of friendship kind of does that to a person. You begin to keep track of every little thing you notice about them, or at least that’s what I do. “Listen, if you don’t ask her, then I’m going to ask her for you, and you know what’s going to happen if I talk to her.”
“I have to study. You and your other careless friends can go and waste the last remaining brain cells you have right before the test.” I said, rolling my eyes and turning the volume down on my computer. I’ve already closed my books long before he called me, but he doesn’t need to know that. I just don’t like parties. Making small talk with people. Those simple rules of conversation, and that will be all it is besides bringing up similar interest, complaints, or events, and I’m just not interested in playing the social role of Yusai’s friend. “Plus, you’ll have Veora there, and you won’t even be talking to me.”
“That’s bullshit.” He was rolling his eyes now, I assume. The way he let out a long breath before he even responded. He was annoyed, and it reminded me of when Yusai first got his girlfriend. He said the same thing when I said he wouldn’t be around as much, because he’d be so busy with her. Yeah, it was some bullshit. It was some shit alright. “Plus.” His voice boomed back through the phone, as he was ready to destroy me with his next argument. “If you don’t come then that poor girl from our math class is going to have to sit by herself as well.”
“No way. No way, you got her to go? She never leaves that one girl’s side.” I smiled remembering her. The girl that I’ve spent 99 percent of my class period staring at, and the other 1 percent listening to this stickler Mr. Ross. She had this tweety bird blonde hair that highlighted the extremely light blue eyes that she had. They almost seemed clear. It’s not like she’s never talked in class, or answered a question, but she didn’t seem to be social with anyone. “Now it’s my turn Yusai, that’s bullshit, and you know it.” I don’t even believe that he even invited her, and even if he did, that doesn’t mean she’ll come.
“Well you can’t really say I’m lying if you don’t show up.” I turned on my back, and stared at my ceiling thinking this over. It could be bait; it could just be bait to get me to go. I know that, but even though I know that. If I have a chance to see her I want to take it. I knew, from the quiet stir on the other side of the phone that he wasn’t bothered anymore. He had probably gone back to setting up for the party, and was no longer focusing his energy on trying to get me to go. “I mean it’s your choice. If you don’t want to. You don’t have to.” Yeah, he’s long forgotten about struggling with me. As I continued thinking my life over I could hear Reina, my sister, walking down the hallway. Her footsteps lightly pressed against the floor just hard enough to be heard. She wasn’t rushing. She surely wasn’t stressed. If I asked her if I could go, what would she say? I thought about it. I thought about going over to her, and asking her what she thought, but then I remembered what happened when I asked her things. Now I remember why I was refusing Yusai in the first place, because those little rules of conversation were just too much for me right now. “Just go.” Yusai said through the phone startling me a bit. It’s almost like he knew everything I was thinking. Well he should, he’s my best friend. “She’s your sister, not you warden. What’s she going to do if you leave? Call the cops?”
“Now you’re acting like you don’t even know Reina.” I chuckled, and he laughed with me. Even if Reina did call the police. All Yusai would have to do is call his dad and tell him it was a false alarm, and we could continue with our night. That’s the kind of privileges you get when you were born with a golden spoon in your mouth. My sister likes to joke that he’s so lucky that it’s like the world itself spoils him. “Alright, I’ll be there.” I sighed, and quickly jumped up from my bed, and then stumbling from getting up too fast. “Shit.” I hissed to myself. I said goodbye to Yusai, and reassured him again that I would be there. He better be right, and she better be there.