10 classic K-dramas that almost had totally different stars
As we watch our favorite K-dramas, it can be hard to imagine anyone else acting in the starring roles. However, some of the biggest K-dramas could have been very different if they had gone with their initial casting choices. Here are a few big K-dramas that had very different casting possibilities:
1. Jang Geun Suk instead of Lee Min Ho in Boys over Flowers
That's right. The role of Jun Pyo almost went to Jang Geun Suk, but he rejected it in favor of his role in Beethoven Virus. It's possible that the popularity of Boys over Flowers encouraged Jang Geun Suk to take the lead in You're Beautiful.
2. Kim Ah Joong instead of Yoon Eun Hye in Coffee Prince
Kim Ah Joong had received a script for Coffee Prince, but she turned down the role because she couldn't cut her hair due to an ongoing contract with a shampoo company.
3. Jung Yong Hwa instead of Kim Woo Bin in Heirs
Yong Hwa rejected the bad boy role in Heirs because he felt that starring in another high school role opposite Park Shin Hye would be too similar to past roles. Instead, he took the second lead in Marry Him If You Dare.
4. Jang Hyuk instead of Hyun Bin in Secret Garden
In spite of the massive success of the series, Jang Hyuk has stated that he doesn't regret dropping out of the role because it didn't suit him.
5. Won Bin instead of Jo In Sung in That Winter, the Wind Blows
The popular melodrama was supposed to be Won Bin's comeback drama, but he eventually rejected the role, which went to Jo In Sung instead.
6. Lee Joon Ki instead of Lee Min Ho in Faith
Lee Joon Ki was originally cast in the lead role, but filming overlapped with his enlistment date, so he dropped out of the drama.
7. Song Joong Ki instead of Kim Soo Hyun in The Moon that Embraces the Sun
Joong Ki was offered the role, but he declined because he felt that it was too similar to his role in Tree with Deep Roots. Park Yoochun also declined the role.
8. Moon Geun Young instead of Han Ga In in The Moon that Embraces the Sun
Reportedly, Moon Geun Young was the first pick for the lead in this same drama, but her production company refused the role because they feared it wouldn't be popular.
9. Cha Seung Won instead of Jang Dong Gun in A Gentleman's Dignity
Cha Seung Won has reportedly rejected offers for several big roles, including the leader of the F-40.
10. Lee Jung Jae instead of Rain in Full House
When Lee Jung Jae dropped out of Full House to prepare for the movie Typhoon, it allowed Rain to get his big acting break.