K-Pop Challenge: My Favorite Break-Up Songs!
Thank you for bearing with me, guys. I was a little (or a lot) under the weather last week, but I totally owe @MattK95 my song challenge for this time around, and I am determined to make it happen! Here are some of my most favorite K-Pop break-up songs. Breaking up isn't awesome, but I think this list is.
1. "I Hate Seoul (서울이 싫어졌어)" - 2000 Won:
2000 Won is a K-Pop duo of one singer and one rapper that first became famous as finalists on KPop Star 2. This is probably one of my most favorite songs that came out this year, and it makes me a little sad more people don't follow them! (The title literally translates to 'I've come to hate Seoul.' and is about all of the things about Seoul he associates with his ex-girlfriend. Sad stuff!)
2. "You Made Me (너는 나를)" - Kim Jin Pyo featuring Jo HyunA of Urban Zakapa:
Kim Jin Pyo actually made an entire mini album of break-up songs, but this is by far my favorite one. The song is a message to an ex-girlfriend letting her know all of the ways their relationship changed him - for worse AND for better.
3. "Fade (잊혀지겠지)" - Philtre featuring Younha
Philtre is a production team on Dynamic Duo's record label. They release collaboration singles every so often, and their very first one "Fade" is my most favorite. It's all about how time will fade memories, and Younha's voice is hauntingly beautiful in it.
4. "Going Down (없어)" - Choiza: This is a solo track from Choiza of Dynamic Duo all about a long-term relationship that dulled out as the couple slowly fell out of love. A lot of people suspect that this song was written about his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, Han Jina of the girl group SWAN.
5. "From Me To You (네게 난)" - Jooyoung:
I am obsessed with Jooyoung lately, and this song is a major reason why. This song is one of those 'Why did we break up? Let's get back together.' tracks, which is probably what I would be thinking if I broke up with Jooyoung too. (Also Korean supermodel Irene Kim is in this video and is adorable as usual.)
6. "Break Up Dinner (이별식탁)" - San E featuring Sanchez of Phantom:
I LOVE THIS SONG. THIS SONG NEVER GETS OLD. SANCHEZ'S VOICE IS PERFECT. SAN-E'S LYRICS ARE SO SINCERE. I'M USING SO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS.
7. "I'm Not Laughing (웃는게 아니야)" - Leessang:
This song is one of those angry break-up tracks. So much so that the music video features TOP of BIGBANG shaving his head then taking a bat to his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's car windshield. Don't break up with TOP, you guys. He's a little cray-cray.
8. "Wash Away" - Geeks featuring Ailee:
Geeks and Ailee are pretty much a pairing made in heaven, and I love the power in this song. It's lyrically pretty simple. They simply want to 'wash away' anything having to do with their ex.