Serving. 16 slices (1 slice per serving )
Carbs per serving 29g
Prep 30 minutes. Bake 35 minutes.
1 Cup cake flour
1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
12 Egg whites (1 1/2 cups), room temperature
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups of sugar
4 cups slices strawberries
2 tbsp sugar
1 oz. shaved semisweet chocolate
1) Adjust baking rack to the lowest position in the oven. Preheat oven to 350 ° F. Soft flour & cocoa powder together three times. In a large bowl best egg whites, cream of tartar, & vanilla with a mixer on medium until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1 1/4 cups of sugar, two tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form ( tips stand straight).
2) Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites, fold in gently. Repeat, folding remaining flour mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch pan. Gently cut through batter with a long thin metal spatula to remove an large air pockets.
3) Bake for 35~ 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake and cool completely in pan. Loosen sides of cake from pan: remove.
4) Meanwhile, in a bowl combine half of the strawberries & the two tablespoons of sugar; lightly mash. Fold in remaining strawberries over & chill until needed.
5) Spoon strawberry mixture over cake. Top with shaved chocolate or chocolate covered strawberries.