Today we're going back to school to learn how to make herbal liqueur. And you're going to love EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Promise!
Tracy Howard Gordon created this epic step-by-step liqueur that gives YOU LIBERTY and creativity to mix and match any fresh herbs that you'd like for any number of liqueur concoctions.
Follow her instructions below:
375 ml. vodka (preferably high-proof)
10 grams fresh spearmint
2 grams fresh tarragon
2 grams fresh thyme
3 grams fresh sage
2 grams fresh oregano
6 grams fresh basil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup water
1 small cinnamon stick
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Kitchen towel (not terry cloth)
Pint-size glass jar with lid
1. De-stem all the herbs, reserving the leaves and discarding the stems.
2. Combine the leaves with the vodka in a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, combine honey and water over high heat. Break cinnamon stick into large pieces and add cinnamon and nutmeg to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, cover and let cool to room temperature.
4. After the syrup has cooled, remove cinnamon pieces and add spiced honey syrup to the vodka-herb mixture in the blender. Pulse several times to combine.
5. Line a funnel with a single layer of a clean kitchen towel. Strain mixture into a clean glass jar. Let rest several hours and repeat strain, if desired, leaving sediment at bottom of jar.
TIP: The single strain provides a bit of texture. However, if you prefer a clearer liqueur, strain the batch through a coffee filter before bottling.
Well crafted liqueurs like this, that you create from fresh ingredients, can be enjoyed simply on the rocks or in a mixed cocktail of your own musing. Have fun with this.