Enjoy your favorite comfort food without the guilt!
No heavy cream, no artificial flavors – just the delicious cheesy goodness you love. This makes the perfect easy dinner for a chilly fall night. And get this – it's even got a few sneaky vegetables added in for extra healthiness! They're so sneaky, though, that even veggie-haters won't be able to tell the difference.
Whip up a batch of delicious homemade mac n' cheese, and enjoy!
Skinny Mac n' Cheese
Prep Time: 5 min. Cook Time: 30 min. Difficulty: Easy
⅔ cup shredded cheese (Gruyère is a great choice, but any kind will work!)
parsley, for garnish
salt and pepper to taste
What To Do
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside for later.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter over medium low heat in a skillet. Cut onion into thin strips, then sauté over low heat until golden and caramelized, around 20 minutes. Keep heat low to avoid burning.
3. While onion is caramelizing, bring broth to a boil in another saucepan. Remove skin and seeds from squash, cut into small cubes, then boil in the broth for 5-7 minutes, or until fork tender.
4. Drain, setting aside ½ cup broth, then place squash in blender. Add the onions, milk, salt, and broth, then puree until smooth, creamy, and lump-free. You should have about 4 cups of sauce.
5. Pour the pureed sauce over the cooked macaroni and add the shredded cheese. Stir to melt the cheese; add salt and pepper to taste. If you need to adjust the consistency, add a little water or milk as needed.
Garnish with parsley, then serve warm and enjoy! :)