Before today I had never heard of El wire. Neon? Sure, I've heard of that since before I was born. But what is El wire and how does it work? Well, from the looks of the tutorial from A Practical Wedding, online, it's easy to do, inexpensive and anyone can do it with the right supplies!
2. Figure out where you will need to drill holes to make your words. The obvious ones, are at the beginning and end of every word or unconnected letter.
3. Trace your word or quote on to the acrylic using a dry erase or chalkboard marker. Do a test first to make sure it comes off your plexiglass easily before you write out the whole thing!
4. Drill a hole big enough for your EL wire to fit through everywhere you marked an “x”.
5. Pull all of your EL wire through the first hole from back to front (at the beginning of the “L”) leaving just the black wire that connects it to the battery pack on the back of the sign.
6. Now just trace your word with the EL wire, bending it over itself at the curves and securing them with a couple drops of super glue gel. You’ll have to hold it in place for a minute or two until it sticks and then you can use a piece of painters tape to hold it down while it dries completely (about ten minutes).
TIP: If you wipe away the writing writing as you go, it makes it easier to to remove all the writing.
7. Continue gluing your EL wire at all the curves and loops and whenever you come to one of your holes, drop the EL wire to the back of your plexiglass, then pull it through the next hole and continue.
8. When you get to the last letter, drop the EL wire through to the back of your plexi and flip it over. You can cut off the extra EL wire now—just snip it with regular scissors!
9. Wrap any extra EL wire on the back with tape.
10. Plug in the battery pack and tape it to the pack of the sign!
Pretty cool idea, right?! I am going to think of some other cool things that I can use this El wire with for future projects!
Click here to see other fun things I am planning for my wedding.