YES PLEASE. I WOULD LIKE THIS IN MY MOUTH IMMEDIATELY.
These chocolate shortbread sandwich cookies, filled with gingersnap liqueur-laced whipped cream and drizzled with cinnamon caramel, just look soooooo good. The recipe comes from food blog Kale & Caramel which is... well, a weird name, because those two things sound pretty disgusting together. But okay. Bloggeress Lily makes up for it with this INCREDIBLE DESSERT.
Anyone who has ever wronged me, I'm pretty sure I could forgive you just about anything if you made me a batch of these.
Chocolate Shortbread Sandwiches
with Boozy Whipped Cream & Cinnamon Caramel
Prep Time: 20 min. Chill Time: 30 min. Cook Time: 15 min. Difficulty: Easy
Makes about 15 sandwich cookies
Recipe adapted from Kale & Caramel
6 oz. (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. kosher sea salt (or coarse salt)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup grated or finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
flaky sea salt, for garnish
1/2 cup caramel sauce
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Boozy Whipped Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp. SNAP liquor, spiced whisky, or the like
1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
What to Do
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugars until fluffy. Sift flour, cocoa powder, and sea salt into a separate bowl, then add gradually while beating on low. Add vanilla and grated chocolate mixing until dough is a deep brown. Use your hands if the beater isn't enough!
2. Form dough into a slightly flattened disk and, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out dough into a square about 1/2" thick, and cut into squares (about 1 1/2") using a sharp knife. Place on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until firm. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt immediately after removing from oven. Let cool.
4. Meanwhile, beat whipped cream ingredients 2-3 minutes on high until large soft peaks form.
5. Assemble the cookie sandwiches! Place a dollop of whipped cream on one cookie, drizzle with caramel, and top with second cookie.
Original recipes and photos belong to Kale & Caramel!