Ready for an absolutely AMAZING fall-themed dessert that's – wait for it – low-calorie, low-sugar, and low-fat?
With the holidays coming fast, there's no better time to think about making healthy choices, even when indulging. You and yours will adore these healthy apple pie blondies with brown sugar frosting and caramel drizzle – and best of all, no guilt to speak of!
(Not to mention, they're vegan AND gluten-free! :D)
Healthy Apple Pie Blondies with Brown Sugar Frosting & Caramel Drizzle
Prep Time: 20 min. Cook Time: 55 min. Difficulty: Easy
Makes 1 pan / 9 blondies
Recipe adapted from Desserts with Benefits
What You'll Need
369g (1+1/2 cups) Unsweetened Applesauce
72g (1/2 cup) Pure Maple Sugar (or dry sweetener of choice)
28g (2 tbs) Hazelnut Oil (or any other neutral oil)
1-1+1/2 tsp Apple Pie Spice (depends on how much spice you want)
160g (1 cup) Brown Rice Flour
120g (1 cup) Oat Flour
1+1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1+1/2 cups Diced Apple (I used one Gala apple, pictured below)
2 tbs Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
Crushed hazelnuts, for garnish (optional)
Frosting and Caramel:
48g (1/4 cup) Sucanat
30g (2 tbs) Unsweetened Applesauce
120g (1 cup) Powdered Erythritol
2-3 tbs Healthy Caramel Sauce (I used this)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Double-line an 8" baking pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine applesauce, maple sugar, oil, and apple pie spice. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, oat flour, baking powder and salt. Dice apple and toss with lemon juice to prevent browning.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry, and fold together, yielding a sticky batter. Fold in apple. Pour into prepared baking pan, and bake for around 55 minutes, until edges are golden brown and center is firm. Let cool in pan several minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
For the Frosting
1. In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine sucanat and applesauce. Microwave for 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until mixture liquifies completely.
2. Whisk in the erythritol until frosting is thick. Spread evenly over cooled blondies.
3. Top blondies with the caramel just before serving.
If you know someone who would enjoy this recipe, please share it with them! And if you give it a try, please let me know how it comes out :) !!