I'm so mad the weekend is over, because all I want to do is throw on my apron and whip up a batch of these gorgeous one-bowl gluten free pumpkin muffins! I mean, come on... look at that pecan crumble. What could be more perfect?
A nice pumpkin crumble muffin, with a latté... the perfect snack for a weekend afternoon. Sigh. Well, at least I can just clip it to my Fall Recipes collection for now, and come back to it next weekend.
This recipe is yet another gem I found on Minimalist Baker, one of the best food blogs ever (in my humble opinion)! These photos belong to her.
1.5 flax eggs (1 1/2 Tbsp (10.5 g) flax seed meal + 4 Tbsp (60 ml) water)
2 Tbsp (30 g) mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup (150 g) pumpkin puree
2/3 cup (146 g) muscovado sugar*, packed (or sub organic brown sugar or coconut sugar)
1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1/2 cup (55 g) almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
3/4 cup (67 g) gluten free rolled oats
1 cup (160 g) gluten free flour blend
3 Tbsp (40 g) organic brown sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp (35 g) gluten free flour blend
2 Tbsp (13 g) roughly chopped pecans, pepitas or walnuts
1 1/4 Tbsp (18 g) coconut oil
Pinch of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin and dust with flour. Prepare flax egg in a large mixing bowl; let set for 5 minutes. Then add banana and mash until mostly smooth.
2. To this mixture, add pumpkin purée, sugar, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract, then whisk for one minute. Stir in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice, and mix. Add water and whisk again. Add almond meal, gluten free oats, and gluten free flour blend, and stir until just combined.
3. Divide batter evenly among 9-10 muffin tins, filling all the way. Rinse mixing bowl, and add crumble ingredients, mixing with hands or a fork until crumbly. Top muffins generously.
4. Bake for 27-32 minutes, or until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into center comes out completely clean. Don't be afraid to overbake slightly, because of the GF flour blend.
5. Allow to cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then carefully remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy warm or at room temp. Yum!