The best part of Thanksgiving isn't the turkey, it's the pernil! Its glorious, juicy, and insanely delicious -- especially when the pork skin is extra crispy...
What You'll Need:
7 lbs. pork shoulder
9 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed oregano
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1½ teaspoon salt
How To make It:
1) Crush the garlic with the side of a wide knife then dice the pieces. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, salt, pepper,oregano, and olive oil.
2) Wash the meat with warm water and pat dry.
3) Stab 1-inch slits into the pork (a lot of them!) Place the pork in a roasting pan with the skin side down. Rub pork with the seasoning (and into the slits)
4) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the meat for a couple of hours.
5) Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Cook pork at 400 degrees for one hour. Then reduce heat to 300 degrees for 4 hours.
OPTIONAL: If the pork skin is not crispy enough to your liking, after you may raise the temperature to 400 degrees and cook for another 15 minutes.