Its the 3rd Thursday of November. Most of you might be thinking to yourself..."so what? It's not Friday so I really don't care." However, I am here to tell you that you are wrong!
Today is the Great American Smokeout!
If you are confused, let me explain. The American Cancer Society has created a single day to motivate smokers of all ages (and years under the belt) to choose this day to finally quit the habit. Which is awesome, especially when you hear about the statistics.
In case you don't remember, smoking kills. In fact:
- Smoking is the single largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in the United States. And yet.....
- over 42 million Americans smoke cigarettes.
- 12.4 million smoke cigars
- 2.3 million who smoke tobacco in pipes
- The mortality rate of a smoker is THREE TIMES that of a non smoker.
- And even worse, your smoking can and will effect your children and loved ones. Just being around you for too long will effect their health.
Sorry about getting dark there, but the truth is, smoking is a silent killer and long term effects can cause cancer in pretty much any part of your body! Your eye sight will become poorer, your teeth will rot, and I hate to break it to you, but smoking also fucks with your reproductive system. This means guys might not be able to get it up and women might have difficulties carrying a child to term.
Luckily, technology can help you on your journey. There are a million and 1 apps that can help you stick to your goal. Some show you the amount of money you save, the increase of healthy lung tissue that you will grow after quitting and some even show you the number of days you may have added to your life!!
So there is hope.