- 1/3 cup (45g) whole wheat bread flour, plus a little more for shaping (you can use all purpose, whole wheat or strong here)
pinch of sugar
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp active dried yeast
- 3 to 4 tbsp warm water for dipping/coating:
- 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tsp baking soda (and 1 egg yolk, if you want it to look shiny)
- Coarse sea salt, cinnamon-sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, rosemary
- In a small bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. Stir in 3 tbsp of water first. If the dough is SUPER dry, then add a little more water and mix again.
1) Pour the entire contents of the bowl out, onto a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle with flour
2) Knead gently until the dough comes together into a ball - it'll be slightly sticky - it should only take 1 or 2 minutes.
3) In a shallow dish, combine the water and baking soda (from the dipping ingredients). Dip the shaped pretzel into the mixture and flip to coat completely. Transfer to a well-oiled baking sheet. (If you want a shiny pretzel, brush it with egg yolk now).
4) Immediately sprinkle over your topping(s) of choice. Leave in a nice warm place to rise whilst you preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C) - for about 15 minutes.