Tired of spaghetti noodles? Mix it up with Rigatonis!
What it took for 3 or 4:
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 sun-dried tomato chicken sausages (casings removed and torn into chunks)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. fresh oregano
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes (run through a food processor until smooth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 pound rigatoni (or maybe more like 3/4th)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1) In a large skillet, bring the oil to a medium-high heat. Add the chicken sausage chunks and brown all over, 5 minutes.
2) Add the onions, garlic, herbs, crushed red pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté another 4 minutes, or until the onions have softened.
3) Add the red wine and cook off, about 2 minutes.
4) Add the tomato sauce and the bay leaf. Cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Taste it. Freaking crazy, I know. Need anything? A little salt?
5) Then add the cream.
6) In the meantime, cook the rigatoni until it reaches al dente. Drain, and toss it into the tomato-sausage sauce. Add half the parmesan. Toss to combine.
7) Fish out the bay leaf, and serve her up, garnished with more cheese!