Risotto with Seared Scallops, Shrimp, Herb and Spring Vegetable
Risotto doesn't always have to be cheese and fattening, add some nutritional goodies to spike it up! Here it goes:
For the Risotto:
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups arborio
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 cups of fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chiffonade basil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Scallops:
- 1 pound of scallops
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
1) In saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce to low to keep warm. In a large flat bottom skillet with raised sides (minimum 3 inches), heat oil over high heat.
2) Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper and add to pan. Sauté until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
3) In same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Throw in onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add rice, stir to coat with the butter and cook for 3-5 minutes.
4) Add wine and cook until nearly evaporated, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup of broth and cook until mostly absorbed, stirring constantly. Continue to add broth 1/2 a cup at a time, stirring constantly until broth is nearly absorbed (about 20-25 minutes total). Stir in peas after the final 1/2 cup of broth.
5) Remove risotto from heat and stir in shrimp, Parmesan, spinach and basil. Cover and let stand for three minutes (or until scallops are finished). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6) Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add coconut oil and allow oil to heat for a couple of minutes. Dry scallops by patting them with a towel or paper towel.
7) Add scallops, being careful to leave at least an inch perimeter around scallops. and don't move them once they hit the pan. Sear scallops 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and serve immediately with Shrimp, Herb and Spring Vegetable Risotto.