Want something low on cals but still digestible? Spike up your greens once in a while with pieces of bacon!
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and sliced on a bias into 1 inch lengths
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 8 oz. bacon, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped [I used drained canned whole San Marzano tomatoes with good results]
- 1 TBS minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1) Add 2 tsp of the salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and blanch for 2-3 minutes, until bright green. Drain, and immediately place the green beans in ice water to stop the cooking process.
2) Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown and crispy. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
3) Add the tomatoes, parsley, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook for a few minutes just to meld the flavors. Stir in the green beans, then season with remaining tsp of salt. Serve immediately, or use in other recipes as required.