When we think of superstars in the NBA, we think about big mansions, sports cars, fancy meals, etc. And it’s understandable when they’ve worked their asses off to become the top of the league and they’re paid with huge contracts.
But this is not the case with all NBA superstars.
Although his performance this season has been somewhat in the shadows due to the amazing Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard has been one of the best players in the league this season, averaging 21 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 2.5 assists.
But fans don’t simply love him for his on-court performance. Fans love him for who he is off the court as well.
Below is a list of things that makes Kawhi a great dude.
1. Leonard told his doctor he planned on going to the NBA when he was just 7. His doctor responded by saying, “Do you know how many kids come in this office and say that?"
2. Leonard spent a lot of his childhood parked in front of his TV watching the Michael Jordan documentary, “Come Fly With Me”.
3. Leonard’s favorite subject in school was math and he used to “lose himself in geometry homework”.
4. Leonard still drives a 1997 Chevy Tahoe that’s nicknamed “Gas Guzzler.” He does it because “it runs and it’s paid off.”
5. Leonard freaked out after he looks a book of coupons from his sponsor Wingstop last summer and asked for them to give him new ones so that he could get free wings - even though his new $94 million contract had just kicked in.
Personally, I’m not a huge fan of the Spurs, but after learning more about Kawhi Leonard, I’ve become a fan of him. This guy’s the freaking man!