Where peas meet meat : )
yes or no?
For the stock:
- 1 smoked ham hock, weighing approx 600 grams
- 2 litres cold water
- 1 leek (white part only)
- 1/2 brown onion
- 2 small or 1 large carrot chopped into even chunks
- 1/2 celery stalk
- a bouquet garni made up of 2 bay leaves, 5-6 peppercorns, 4 sprigs fresh thyme, 4 stalks parsley
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 grams frozen peas
- salt and pepper to season
1) Place the ham hock along with the water, vegetables and bouquet garni in a tall, stock pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
2) Cook for approx 2-2.5 hours until the ham hocks are soft and nearly falling off the bone.
Remove the ham hocks and set aside to cool. Discard the bouquet garni and using a hand blender blend all the veggies and stock. Set aside.
3) In a separate pot heat the olive oil, add the onions and garlic and allow to soften for a few minutes. Add the peas and the ham hock stock and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Blitz with a hand blender and add the shredded ham meat (discarding any fatty bits) to the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Serve immediately with crusty bread