Tired of the old chocolate sprinkle? Here's a way to make your cupcakes delish but still cute :D
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chocolate Mustache
- 100 grams dark chocolate
1) To prepare cupcake, preheat over to 350F. Grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2) Crack in the egg, spoon in the sour cream, and pour in the oil and the vanilla. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
Pour in the boiling water, and slowly mix until smooth and liquidy.
3) Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, about halfway full. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely.
4) To prepare buttercream, beat butter for a few minutes in a standing mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add powdered sugar and turn your mixer on low, beat until the sugar incorporates with the butter. Add vanilla and heavy cream, beat on medium speed for another 3 minutes, until buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
5) To prepare chocolate mustache, outline a mustache on a paper and top with a sheet of parchment.
6) Melt the dark chocolate in microwave and spoon it into a small piping bag fitted with a very small round tip. Pipe out the chocolate along the mustache outline. Then either roughly or completely fill out the space inside. Repeat until you have 12 mustaches. Let them dry completely.
7) Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream, and place the chocolate mustache on it.