Sliders, also known as small burgers are a delight for any kind of occasion, and specially for holidays.
Their portions--being totally friendly, also helps you to control how much of this you eat ; )
Here is the recipe of this cute little sliders!
- 1 lb ground beef, preferably organic and 80/20
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon, preferably organic
- 3 pepper colby jack cheese, 8 small slices (or 4 large slices, available at the deli)
- 1 cup brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 8 whole wheat dinner rolls, about 3 inches in diameter (available in the bakery section of most grocery stores)
- 2-3 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 long bamboo skewers, cut in half, or 8 short skewers
1) Slice rolls in half and set aside on a large plate or platter with arugula and cheese.
2) Mix ground beef with the herbs and spices in a small bowl using your hands. When the spices are evenly mixed throughout the ground beef, form 8 patties about 4 inches in size and place them on a large plate.
3) Cook bacon in a skillet until it’s browned on each side and remove to a plate covered with paper towels. Break each slice into 4 equal pieces.
4) Cook the mushrooms in the same skillet (without emptying the bacon grease) on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl.
5) Heat a grill pan or large skillet on medium high heat. When it’s hot, place the patties on the pan. Press the patties with a spatula occasionally as they cook to keep them from swelling up. Flip the burgers when they’re about half way cooked on the bottom side. After they burgers are cooked to your liking, place them on the large plate again (this time covered with a paper towel.) Place the slices of cheese on the patties and then put the burgers in the oven or microwaave to keep warm while you prepare the buns.
6) Brush the melted butter on the top and bottom (insides) of the buns and place them butter side down on the hot grill pan. Press down on the tops and let them cook for about 1-2 minutes. Place them back on the platter when they’re browned on the bottoms.
7) To plate the burgers, place the bottom bun on the platter, then add a burger patty topped with cheese, 3-4 mushrooms, 2 pieces of bacon, arugula, and the top of the bun. Stick a skewer through the middle to secure the slider. Repeat with the rest of the burgers and serve warm and fresh.