They are considered unavoidable "defects" in food products. Some examples include:
- Up to an aggregate length of 12mm of insect larvae per 24 pounds of canned corn
- 60 insect fragments per 100g of chocolate and chocolate liquor
- 30 insect fragments per 100g of peanut butter
- 150 insect fragments per 100g of wheat flour
- 400 insect fragments per 50g of ground cinnamon
- 925 insect fragments per 10g of ground thyme
I didn't add any real insect pictures because I've lost my appetite for the whole day and I don't want anyone else to feel the same....
and remind me to pick and grind my own thyme leaves next time.