Kimchi is known as one of the healthiest dishes in Korean cuisine the reason for that is because its made of various vegetables and contains a high concentration of dietary fiber, and also being low on the calories ; )
Here is what you need & how you can make it!
- 1 kg (2 lb) napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup Korean sea salt
- 5 cups water
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1" piece ginger
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 tablespoon anchovy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoon Korean chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon Koran plum extract for tea, or 2 tablespoon apple juice with 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 red chilies seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1) Cut off the stem part of cabbage. Cut each cabbage leaf in half or 3-4 section (depends on the size) vertically. Place the cabbage leaves in a large mixing bowl.
2) Combine salt and water and bring to a full boil dissolving the salt. Cool down for 5 minutes and pour over cabbages in mixing bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes, turn the cabbages over to the other side and continue to soak for 5 more minutes.
3) Rinse once and drain thoroughly.
To make kimchi filling, combine garlic, ginger, onion and anchovy sauce in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the puree in a small mixing bowl. Add Korean chili flakes, sugar, and Koran plum extract for tea, if using. Mix well.
4) Place drained cabbages in a large shallow mixing bowl.
5) Add the red chilies if using, and the kimchi filling. Toss all together to coat evenly. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and toss well. Adjust seasoning as you wish.
6) This kimchi will stay fresh in the fridge for 10 days. Not ideal for a long term fermentation.