Recently I had a very creepy experience on the subway.
A had a very odd man sit next to me and start filming me secretly (though obviously not so secretly since I noticed) He also tried to follow me but luckily I tricked him. For more info you can check the video below.
**this is not common AT ALL in Korea, it only happened to me in Seoul because that's where I live. This could, and does, happen all over the world no matter what culture~**
What I hope you take from this:
1. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. If someone sits next to you (even if it seems totally normal) just take a millisecond to recognize that - don't just stay zoned in on your phone.
2. If you feel uncomfortable - get up and move. I didn't do this but I should have. I didn't need to "prove" he really was creepy, regardless of if he was or not, I have every right to just move away.
3. If someone made you feel uncomfortable, trust your gut and keep an eye on them in some way. If I hadn't noticed him earlier, he might have followed me off the train without me knowing.
4. Let someone know where you are and what was up. Even if its just texting a close friend that is dependable "hey I'm at XYZ bus stop, there was a weird guy on the bus lol" just so someone knows. In case something happens to you, it could help people find you.
5. If you see something weird happening to another girl, try to do something. When I see guys getting too close to girls on crowded trains I always try to make it seem like I'm with the girl too so he's outnumbered, or I stare them down so they know they aren't being sneaky.