You can use toasted almonds or walnuts if no hazelnuts are available for this wonderful biscotti recipe, unless you are on a diet! Because trust me, it still tastes super tasty just the way it is! Servings: about 21
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar substitute (granular low-calorie sweetener)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Roast the hazelnuts in a shallow pan in a 350° F oven for about 10 minutes. Rub the warm nuts vigorously in a tea towel to remove the bitter skins.
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs, almond and vanilla extracts.
5. Stir in the flour mixture and hazelnuts.
6. Divide the dough in half. Shape into 2 logs, 2 inches wide and 12 inches long.
7. Spray a baking sheet with some nonstick coating. Bake the bars at 325 degrees F until golden brown (about 25 minutes).
8. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
9. Cut the bars diagonally into 21 slices about 1/2 inch thick.
10. Lay the slices on a baking sheet, return to the 300 degrees F oven and bake for about 10 more minutes. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely before storing in airtight container.