* 2 Tablespoons of something sweet (honey, maple syrup, orange marmalade, apricot preserves, etc)
* 2 Tablespoons of an acid (balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, etc)
* 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
* some Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
* 4-5 beets
* olive oil
* salt and pepper
* salad greens
* blue cheese
1. Grab a piece of heavy tin foil and fold it in half. Peel 4-5 beets. (Wear some gloves while peeling your beets otherwise you will have purple stained hands for the rest of the day.) Quarter them and put them on the tin foil. Drizzle them with some olive oil and a generous dose of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I had some fresh rosemary so I added some chopped rosemary as well. Fold up the tin foil to make a purse and put in a 400 degree over for about an hour. They are done when you can stick a knife in one and get no resistance.
2. Put the lid on and shake it really well. Open the jar and add anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil. I like a more vinegar-y dressing. Use the amount that tastes good to you. Put the lid back on and shake again. You can keep this in the fridge and just shake it up again before you use it. It would be great on just about anything.
3. Put the leaves. Please make sure to season your leaves before you dress them. It makes a really big difference.
4. Add some of the dressing and toss. Add the roasted beets on top. I put some blue cheese and walnuts on as well. Some good crusty bread and it is done.