Whether you've recently met someone special or you've been in an intimate relationship for awhile, everyone is always looking for ways to make love last. These 10 tips can help you to create a bond that's fulfilling and stands the test of time:
1. Communication is key -> You should both have clear ideas about the kind of relationship you want and express your needs to one another.
2. Roll with the changes -> After awhile, you may start to assume you know everything there is to know about your partner; the fact is, people change. Stay tuned in to the energy of your relationship. Be respectful, but also endlessly curious about one another.
3. Fan the flame -> Try and do at least one loving thing for your partner each day -- bring them coffee in bed, give them a spontaneous massage after work, or send them a sexy text message when they least expect it... The possibilities are endless.
4. Common interests -> Find or develop shared interests that will keep you and your partner on the same page. Going to the gym together, taking cooking classes, improving your home together, raising amazing children and having a shared spiritual practice are just some possibilities.
5. Have a weekly "date night" -> No matter how busy your week has been, find time for a romantic evening at least once per week. Dress up and go out to dinner, or stay in and cook a meal from scratch together.
6. Shared values and beliefs -> Have regular, deep conversations about the "meaning of life," your goals and plans for the future, and the areas where you share a common belief system. Be there to help one another grow spiritually and intellectually.
7. Become best friends -> Develop a deep and genuine friendship with your loved one that's as strong as your romantic connection. True companionship is as important as romance, especially as time goes by.
8. Be willing to compromise -> You're not going to see eye to eye on everything, and some issues may not be "fixable." In these cases, you may have to agree to disagree. Be willing to compromise in negotiable areas of your relationship.
9. Separate bathrooms -> When the late, great Johnny Cash was asked the secret to his long marriage with June Carter, he famously answered, "Separate bathrooms." His point was that every great relationship allows for a healthy dose of privacy for each partner.
10. Gratitude -> In the most successful relationships, both partners remain filled with gratitude for one another. Make it a daily practice to see and acknowledge the things you are grateful for about your partner.