We have all heard our friends talk about it. We have all probably, by now, gone to see it. Of course, I am talking about the latest Disney hit, Frozen. If you have not seen it or have not heard that much talk about it (you must have heard some mention of it), then you probably have heard the soundtrack, especially "Let it Go." (Yes that song that can't get off the radio is from Frozen.) While the movie, in my honest opinion, is not the masterpiece previous Disney movies have been, such as the Lion King, the soundtrack is amazing.
The soundtrack has it on pace to be the highest grossing Disney movie of all time. That got me thinking, what have been the highest grossing animated movies of all time? Here is the list of the top 5 grossing animated films of all time:
1) Toy Story 3 -> $1,063,171,911 -> Yes it grossed over 1 billion dollars! Released in 2010, it was one of the few sequels, I say, that actually lived up to the original!
2) The Lion King -> 987,483,777 -> Released in 1994, it is amazing that it still ranks #2 of all time! Remember that this list does not take into account movie ticket price hikes, nor does it take into account 20 years of inflation. It is amazing the Lion King is still nearly the king of all animated movies, but given the masterpiece that it is, is it really that hard to believe?
3) Despicable Me 2 -> 970,761,885 -> Released in 2013, I do not believe this sequel lived up to the hype of its original. The original itself, was in my opinion, also not as great as some other titles.
4) Frozen -> 958,495,613 -> Released in 2013, it is quickly garnering the fame and glory of some of the greatest movie hits of all time. Remember that this list is, no matter how updated, is still not taking into account the latest info about how much Frozen has brought in. It will soon become the highest grossing movie of all time.
5) Finding Nemo -> 936,495,613 -> Released in 2003, this underwater masterpiece revived the fun under the sea. I do not know about others, but I am definitely waiting for "Finding Dory," which is set to release in 2016.