Let's face it - we all love Chinese take-out. A favorite of mine is the orange chicken. The breading and sweet and sour sauce with accents of orange flavor get to me every single time.
Here's a recipe that is not only fast and simple, BUT also a whole lot healthier than your average grease-filled take-out!
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of ground pepper
1) Place cut up chicken in bag with cornstarch and shake. Add a teaspoon or so of water as needed for the cornstarch to form a light batter on the chicken
2) Heat a nonstick skillet and lightly coat with olive oil
Place the chicken in the skilled and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned
3) Turn over and cook for 2-3 minutes on opposite side
Place chicken in crock
4) Mix the remaining ingredients in bowl or measuring cup
5) Poor over top of chicken
6) Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until chicken is fully cooked.