This is a fun spin on cannolis!
Their fun shape and individual portion size makes it ideal for enjoying the delicious things in life without feeling guilty!
The muffin tin provides a perfect shape every single time :D
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting work surface
- 2 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg white
- 6 - 8 Tbsp apple juice or grape juice
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 12 oz whole milk Ricotta cheese, strained
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting
-Melted chocolate, chopped pistachios, sprinkles, toasted sweetened coconut
1) Add flour, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a food processor and pulse until blended.
2) Pour in melted butter and pulse until well combined then add egg white and pulse until blended. In a bowl combine juice and vinegar, with processor running slowly pour in juice mixture and pulse just until mixture begins to come together.
3) Divide dough into two pieces, shape into balls and transfer to a resealable bag. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes - 1 hour.
4) Preheat oven to 400 degrees during last 10 minutes of refrigeration.
5) Meanwhile prepare filling. In a mixing bowl, using a rubber or silicone spatula, blend together Ricotta and Mascarpone cheese while running and pressing mixture along bottom of bowl to remove any lumps. Fold in powdered sugar. Cover and chill 30 minutes (or until ready to use).
6) Roll each chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface (dust top with flour too) into a 14-inch circle, to about an 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into circles using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter.
7) Transfer rounds to an ungreased mini muffin tin, pressing evenly into sides and bottom of muffin well. Spray tops evenly with vegetable oil spray (I just poured vegetable oil in to my Misto to spray).
8) Bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes until lightly golden (I liked these best crisp). Remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
9) Once cool dip tops in chocolate if desired then into coating if using (such as pistachios) and allow chocolate to set.
10) Remove cannoli filling from refrigerator, transfer to a piping bag fitted with a tip (or you can use a large resealable bag and cut the tip of the end). Pipe filling into cups and sprinkle with chocolate chips and dust with powdered sugar.