I'm really honored and humbled to say that I was selected to be the student speaker at the UCLA Department of Communication Studies Class of 2014 Commencement Ceremony! It took me a long time to write a meaningful and exciting speech that will hopefully be worth listening to. I found this really great list of fantastic commencement speeches given by some pretty famous people. The following is from the #1 speech by David Foster Wallace:
"'Learning how to think' really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience. Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed."
I hope I can be as good as these guys!
1) David Foster Wallace, Kenyon, 2005
2) Steve Jobs, Stanford, 2005
3) Conan O'Brien, Harvard (Class Day), 2000
4) Russell Baker, Connecticut College, 1995
5) Winston Churchill, Harrow School, 1941
6) George Marshall, Harvard, 1947
7) John F. Kennedy, American University, 1963
8) Bradley Whitford, Wisconsin, 2006
9) Barbara Kingsolver, Duke, 2008
10) Stephen Colbert, Knox College, 2006