An invitation to discussion or even discussion - this is how the second title of this article may sound. Although cosmetology is very difficult to separate from the psychological and emotional aspects that make up its essence, it still needs to be done. Let's take a closer look and discuss one of the latest procedures, emotionally rich and colored - oxygen mesotherapy. In the descriptions on many sites, it is positioned as a procedure for rejuvenation - and this is a very serious application.
More and more recently, innovative cosmetology pleases with interesting and bright novelties. What is especially attractive is the non-injection nature of the procedures. The absence of punctures and possible complications, the absence of pain and the rehabilitation period are additional attractive "bonuses" for both cosmetologists and their clients.
One of these relatively new fashionable methods in modern aesthetic and care cosmetology is oxygen mesotherapy. Its essence is oxygenation of the skin, saturation of tissue cells with oxygen.
Oxygen: why does the skin need it
Oxymesotherapy, oxygen therapy, oxytherapy, oxygen therapy, biooxytherapy are synonymous names of the same method and the same procedure. Like many other techniques and procedures based on them, she came to cosmetology from medicine. Actually, oxygen therapy is a medical term for the use of oxygen for treatment - hypoxia, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. In the classification of the World Health Organization, it has its own ATX code - V03AN01. ATX (ATC) is an international drug classification system.
Probably, many women are familiar with oxygen cocktails - they were often prescribed during pregnancy, and also recommended for children in kindergartens and schools. Rarely what sanatorium, dispensary, physiotherapy room and, moreover, physiotherapy department do without them. Inhalers, concentrators - all from the same area. Healing wounds and burns, treating acne, acne, etc. oxygen - the same.
Cosmetology has taken the direct name of the technique, but its essence is completely different. Skin breathing is precisely this function provided by O2. It is responsible, among other things, for the synthesis of collagen and elastin - accordingly, its lack leads to a slowdown in the process of their biosynthesis. In general, with its lack, there is a huge list of processes that eventually lead to premature aging, destruction of antioxidant protection, loss of moisture, formation of premature wrinkles, dull complexion, coarsening of the upper stratum corneum of the epidermis. This is especially true for the inhabitants of megalopolises - who, if not they, know the most about polluted air, the "aromas" of asphalt and cars, powerful office air conditioners and heaters.
It is not surprising that the issue of oxygen saturation of cells has been developed in scientific and research laboratories for more than a decade. A series of various cosmetic brands with a line of oxygen cosmetics for professional and home use are entering the wide market, and in the last year even a separate direction has appeared - ozoceutics, cosmetics with an active content of bio-ozone protected by European patents. It is logical that special devices and procedures based on the application are being developed and appear.
Oxygen mesotherapy: the essence of the method
The cells of the epidermis absorb oxygen directly from the air - and its concentration on the scale of the planet Earth is slowly decreasing and today it is about 21%. We all know and remember from school lessons that O2 is needed to support any life - plants, animals and people. Our skin needs it no less. The more technologically mankind develops and, accordingly, pollutes the home planet, the more we will need this gas without color, taste and smell for life.
As a procedure, mesotherapy is a technique well known to cosmetologists and doctors. It comes in several varieties:
Non-injection (e.g. electroporation)
Today, in fact, another type of it appears - oxygen mesotherapy. The essence of classical mesotherapy is the introduction of various active ingredients of serums, cocktails, ampoules, and so on at different depths. For example, in the same electroporation, electrical impulses of high frequency and low intensity act as a "needle". In the so-called ionic mesotherapy - iontophoresis - direct current up to 50 mA and voltage 30-80V, in ultrasonic - phonophoresis - oscillations of ultrasonic waves.
During the operation of the electroporation nozzle, ion channels are created - through which a certain dose of drugs and cosmetics enters the skin and is deposited in it. Different non-injection methods have different depths of introduction, different percentage of the injected substance, their own specificity. Electroporation is considered to be the most effective in this regard. Although there are enough of their convinced fans and other methods.
In oxygen mesotherapy, the "needle" is a narrowly directed stream of 98% oxygen, supplied with a pressure of 2 or several atmospheres. It is these numbers that appear in the descriptions of the procedure on different sites. For the rest, the principle of action is similar: the cosmetologist applies a serum with vitamin or other components to the cleansed and exfoliated epidermis and processes it with a stream of O2.
Oxygen therapy: the effectiveness of the method
The numerous descriptions of this technique have many advantages. Oxygen in tissues performs such important functions:
Improving cellular metabolism
Collagen fiber restoration
Correction of age-related changes
Getting rid of pigmentation, scars, scars, acne marks
Increasing elasticity, tightening pores, evening out complexion and relief
Restoration of stressed, reactive, sensitive skin, skin of smokers
And in this regard, let's think a little.
1. Unfortunately, in numerous publications on the sites, it was not possible to find indicators of the amount of the substance administered using this type of mesotherapy. But there is information that the active components under pressure of 2 atmospheres reach the level of the basement membrane. And in this regard, the question of the amount of the active substance introduced is of particular importance - after all, cosmetology has several procedures for implementation in its arsenal: iontophoresis, phonophoresis, electroporation. And the comparative data are very interesting - what percentage of the total drug introduces oxygen using oxygen mesotherapy.
2. It will probably not be a big exaggeration to note that similar results can be obtained from some other procedures. By and large, all cosmetology, especially hardware, works precisely to achieve all of the above results, a comprehensive solution to the problem of aging and anti-age therapy, and treatment of problem skin.
Offhand, you can cite several procedures, the effect of which is as much as possible identical to the above list:
Procedures using a variety of laser devices
Oxygen mesotherapy: what they write in English-language sources
In most cases, US cosmetology works with foreign methods - there are very few technologies of authorship of our scientists and researchers on the Ukrainian market. Consequently, the main objective analytical, research and critical articles can provide precisely English-language research. And the approach to clients is still different there - and, in addition to the obvious advantages and benefits of a specific procedure, the client will be informed about possible nuances. And they are very wary of making unrealizable promises.
The search results are amazing - in response to the keyword phrase "oxygen therapy", Google kindly provided 281 MILLION links. To revise and study such a number of sources is an unrealistic matter, I had to limit myself to the first few pages. Most of the links are mainly of a medical nature, but the cosmetic and aesthetic directions are also present.
So, what do they write "abroad" about oxygen mesotherapy - succinctly and briefly:
Oxygen therapy is unlikely to save neglected skin
It does not replace facial care on an ongoing basis, adequate hydration, adherence to a healthy and active lifestyle
The use of O2 can rather be seen as a pleasant addition to constant grooming - it's like "adding a little protein to a shake."
The joint work of O2 together with the active components of the applied preparations will create optimal conditions under which the skin cells feel in the best possible way
The results after the procedure are instant, but temporary - they are short-lived, the technique gives the greatest effect as a stable regular practice
There is no reliable scientific data confirming the "delivery" of vitamins and nutrients by a stream of oxygen to the skin
There are no clinical studies of this method of treating the skin (here we note that during the time elapsed from the writing of the article - 2016, such studies could theoretically appear)
"The only safeguards are related to your expectations ... be realistic and avoid false claims of the miraculous healing properties of oxygen." (Source: An Esthetician's Opinion on Oxygen Therapy )
It is optimal to use oxygen mesotherapy as a way of relaxation and rest, on the eve of an important event in life, etc.
Oxygen mesotherapy: preliminary findings
Summing up, we will formulate several conclusions.
1. Oxygen facial treatments, apparatus and cosmetics - both for professional and home use - are a very necessary and demanded direction. This is the breath of our skin, its freshness and purity. And most importantly - support for her youth
2. In beauty salons oxygen hydro facial mesotherapy can successfully perform the function of an express procedure of instant beauty and relaxation. It will show good results if applied on the eve of an important event - a wedding, a meeting of classmates, a presentation, etc.
3. By analogy with ice-masks, which are purchased for personal home use, the apparatus for saturating skin cells with oxygen can be in great demand for constant home care. In this case, we can speak with a greater degree of confidence about the high efficiency of the procedure - if you do not forget to use it periodically, but more or less on a regular basis. A single procedure will not significantly rejuvenate.
4. As an option to support youth - yes, oxygen mesotherapy as a technology will work. For mature skin, it can be used rather for the sake of additional pleasant sensations and emotions. Whether it can be considered as a salon rejuvenating procedure is questionable with a certain degree of doubt. The fact that there will be a visible result after the procedure is definitely yes. How "persistent" it is, what are its prolonged effects, how effective the method is for mature skin, and not for young skin - these are questions that do not yet have clear convincing answers.
Cosmetology, whose vocation is to preserve youth, freshness and beauty, with great enthusiasm "responds" to the appearance of any new method or apparatus, including oxygen mesotherapy.
How effective it is - from an economic and aesthetic point of view, whether it will occupy its niche in serious hardware-based non-injection anti-age techniques or become a pleasant relaxing bonus - time will tell. And the faces of the clients.