The Internet of Things (IoT) basically takes the term 'Inter-Connectivity' to a whole different level. What it does is that it connects the various systems and machines all together through the means of sensors and other tracking devices in order to obtain meaningful information from these systems, the end result being a huge improvement in human productivity and efficiency.
Some examples of the work IoT does are:
- Giving reminders to complete tasks like those such as bill payment or the parking meter payments, etc.
- The lighting on the streets being enhanced by Smart Lighting through the use of sensors.
- Similar to smart lighting, it can be used for the automation of traffic signals.
- IoT enhanced 'Smart Automobiles' that can adapt to the dynamic environmental conditions.
- Assistance in Healthcare Sector through the use of remote administered medication and remote monitoring of patients.
- Enhances patient engagement solutions for better patient experience through various IoT powered devices.
But as the saying goes "With great power comes great responsibility" so does the burden of responsibility come on IoT. In retrospect IoT has one grave challenge and that is security of the devices. The IoT devices are specially designed to reduce power consumption with their limited connectivity, the disposable nature of these devices makes it a challenge for implementation of security measures such as encryption and other robust security options, even through all this, one security threat persists that is cyber attacks.
Now the question arises is that what is it's impact on you?
The new saying for the future is most probably going to be something like "Everything that can be connected, will be connected" But why on earth would you want so many connected devices talking to each other? One may ask. There are in fact many examples for what this might look like or what the potential value of this would be. Let's say for example you are in your can, on way to attend a meeting, now due to the presence of IoT, your car would have access to your calendar and will already know the best path to reach your destination. If the traffic is heavy your car will send a text to the other person and notify them that you will be late, or what if your alarm starts ringing to wake you and then notifies your coffee brewing machine to brew some strong coffee.