Health & Hike Update 1/10
Hello, my buff Vinglers! Earlier today I decided that instead of going to the gym, that I'll go on a hike. This hike was a tad more challenging than the first hike I went on, but it was totally doable. Last week, I went on a hike that was 6 miles long with an elevation of 400 feet. Today, I went on a hike that was a little bit over 6 miles, with an elevation of 1,000 feet. I made many mistakes on my previous hike, so I was better prepared this time. I had layers of clothing, food, and water. I think next time I need to actually bring a backpack, along with gloves and any other attire that would help keep me warm.
I think for these hikes, I am having a difficult time trying to control my breathing. The pain I feel in my whole lower body is something I can ignore. My quads are pretty strong, so although I get tired, it's not as big of a challenge as the whole breathing thing. If any of you are avid hikers, or know a thing-or-two, please let me know about any tips that can help reduce my gasping for air when I am on going on a sharp uphill.
I had a great time on my hike. These past two hikes are actually with a group of people who meet every weekend to go hiking. So, not only am I getting some activity in, I am meeting new people. In two weeks, there is a hike that has an elevation of around 2,000 feet and I am feeling pretty nervous about it, but I think I just might dive into it. The good thing about the hikers in the group, is that they are incredibly patient, they don't leave anyone behind, and we do take a few breaks.
As far as my overall health, I am glad to report that my diet last week was almost flawless. I'd say I ate healthy 95% of the time, the other 5% percent I did grab a few not-so-great snacks, but that's okay. I am gradually trying to retrain my body in eating healthier foods. It can be a bit of a challenge because at the office, we do have junk-y food, so it's sometimes hard to not munch on it. No worries! Everything in moderation.
Oh, I also did the squat challenge that I had going on during the week. A big thank you to those who participated and threw in some very encouraging words. I really appreciate it! You guys are the bomb.dot.com.
Anyway, I had a successful health week. I ate well, I moved more, I meet new people, and I was in nature.
I hope all of you had a great week!