How to clean velvet furniture? Sofas, armchairs, or chairs with velvet upholstery will give your home a chic, rich look. However, the velvet upholstery of upholstered furniture is a very delicate fabric and requires special care.
Any errors on its surface immediately become noticeable and spoil the appearance of the furniture. If you have soiled the velvet, do not despair – you will be able to cope with this problem on your own, even at home. Learn how to clean velvet furniture and remove stains from upholstery in this article.
You will need:
· Means for dry cleaning of clothes (dry cleaning)
· Dishwasher Detergent
· Soft cloth
· Paper towels
How to clean velvet upholstery:
1. If you spill liquid on a velvet sofa or chair, dab the wet spot with a few paper towels or soft cloths as soon as possible.
2. For more persistent stains, add a little dishwasher detergent to the water and mix vigorously until thick foam forms.
3. Using a soft cloth, apply foam to the area of velvet upholstery with the stain. Try not to additionally moisten the area to be cleaned.
4. Use a sponge to clean the velvet upholstery. Rub the foam on the area with the stain until it begins to disappear.
5. Wipe the velvet upholstery with a clean cloth to remove any remaining stain and foam residue.
6. Wait until the velvet furniture is completely dry, or dry it with a hairdryer or fan.
7. The second method involves using a dry cleaning agent (dry cleaning) to remove stains from velvet furniture.
8. Apply the selected product on a damp cloth and rub it into the spot to be cleaned.
9. Allow the chemical cleaner on the velvet upholstery to dry.
10. To speed up the drying process, you can use a hairdryer.
11. Using a soft-bristled brush, brush the surface of the velvet upholstery to restore the correct direction of the lint after it has completely dried.
CLEANING VELVET FURNITURE WITH FURNITURE CLEANER
You can use a furniture cleaner such as Woolite to clean cotton or polyester. Check the cleaning agent on a separate area, such as the back or bottom of the fabric recliner's sofa. Make sure that the material is not discolored or damaged.
Gently apply the upholstery cleaner to the velvet with a soft sponge, leaving the velvet pile alone. After it is clean, be sure to vacuum and brush the velvet several times to make the velvet look neat. Note: Woolite also has a foam pad with a built-in brush designed for cleaning furniture, which you may find useful.
WET METHOD OF CLEANING VELVET FURNITURE
If the liquid gets on the velvet, moisten it with a paper towel or cloth. Make sure that there is no food or debris left on the fabric. Combine a small amount of dish soap and water in a bucket, stirring until it becomes frothy.
Soak a cloth in soapy water and gently apply it to the stain. Use a dirty cloth to blot the stain until it disappears. For a velvet fabric, it is important to dry quickly. Use a hairdryer or fan to speed up the drying process.
DRY CLEANING METHOD FOR VELVET FURNITURE
If the cloth is wet, use a paper towel or soft cloth to absorb the liquid. Apply dry-cleaning detergent to a sponge and pat the stain several times. Allow the cleaner to dry completely on the cloth, using a hairdryer or fan to dry it as quickly as possible. Use a soft brush to break the velvet if it appears matte.
· If you ignore a stain on a velvet sofa, it will not only spoil the appearance of upholstered furniture but also affect the durability of the delicate material for the worse. And the remnants of food on the velvet will further aggravate the situation.
· When wiping away stains, do not apply too much force to the rag, as a strong pressure can further penetrate the spilled liquid deep into the fibers of the upholstered furniture upholstery.
· With the help of a steam cleaner, you can restore the shine and gloss of velvet. While holding it above the surface of the velvet sofa, move it in the direction of the correct orientation of the lint.