Execution of project cannot start unless the blueprints of the structure or building are in place. The designing stage of any construction project holds immense importance as it lays the foundation for effective project execution. Throughout the construction process there are various construction drawings prepared, each of them serves different purpose and possess their own unique features. These design drawings provide a glimpse of the actual state of construction process during various stages of project lifecycle. Shop Drawings and As Built Drawings are crucial in construction process and are created to accomplish different goals. In this article, we will understand both of these drawings and how are they different from each other.
Shop Drawings, also known as fabrication drawings are detailed representation of design intent. These drawings are generally utilized by fabricators, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers etc. in regards to manufacturing, assembling, and installation of pre-fabricated components of a building or structure. A few examples of the same are; Elevators, windows, trusses, MEP components such as HVAC ducts, plumbing pipes etc. The style of these drawings is very different from architect’s drawing as these are extremely detailed, having instructions/notations for installation, dimensions and materials needed. Shop Drawings usually include the following information:
· Applicable fabrication standards
· Details needed for erection and installation
· Plans, elevations, views, sections, and information required for installation of pre-fabricated elements
Shop Drawings are essential because of the following reasons:
· Structural shop drawings provide essential information to fabricator in great detail to make sure that all the components used in fabrication are sound structurally. It also ensures that there is no compromise made with safety & standards are adhered to.
· MEP Shop Drawing Services can be used to create MEP drawings which provide information regarding HVAC, electrical, plumbing and fire-protection components of a building. This is used not just for fabrication, installation and assembly but can also aid facility managers for carrying out quick repairs by pinpointing the location of a faulty component.
· It brings down fabrication rework considerably by providing accurate and detailed information pertaining to the kind of materials to be used, the dimensions etc. about fabricated components and early detection of clashes.
· Helps in clear communication between architect, designer, client and fabricator.
· Essential in expediting the timeline of construction by ensuring seamless flow of fabrication process.
As Built Drawings:
As built drawings also known as Record Drawings or Red Line Drawings are revised versions/sets of drawings created after the completion of construction project. These drawings are prepared by contractors & subcontractors to compare the final completed version of the structure or the building with that of what was originally planned. Thus, these drawings provide a final blueprint of finished structure and the area surrounding it. During any construction project there are various times when deviations are to be made from what was planned initially. As Built Services can also be used to keep a track of the changes made throughout the project lifecycle and records them to reflect the actual construction with exact dimensions, location and geometry of the built structure or building. As built drawings generally include the following information:
· Modifications in designs
· Alterations done in shop drawings
· Geometry, dimensions, area etc.
· Deviations from initial designs
Importance of As Built Drawings
· It reflects the actual constructed state of the building and not just the conceived idea.
· Time and cost saving, as no resources are wasted in the maintenance and operation processes to locate, recognize, installation and maintenance, as all the information is reflected in documented history of building.
· It provides room for safety as the detailed plans show the areas where safety parameters may be needed, and how can they be installed.
· They are helpful during renovation or refurbishment of the building as it contains the history of building and all the primary and essential information which can expedite the process.
During any construction process, accuracy is essential in order to prevent errors, and wastage of resources, such as time, money and manpower. Even though Shop Drawings and As Built Drawings are different from one another, both of them require the same level of precision in order to ensure a smooth on-site construction process.