Time for your first ever knitting project.
1. Start by making a slip knot. http://www.vingle.net/posts/396164
2. Cast on 9 more stitches (for a total of 10 loops on your needle)
3. Putting the needle with the stitches in your left hand, use the working end of the yarn (not the short end from casting on, but the end attached to your yarn ball) to knit stitch all ten stitches.
4. Put the needle with all the stitches into your left hand again (this is called 'turning the row', or just 'turn'). This time, purl stitch the ten stitches.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a square, however many rows it takes.
6. Cast off all ten stitches.
You're done! You made a square of stockinette stitch (the fabric made when you alternate rows of knit and purl). The fabric should curl slightly at the ends.