This beautiful mixture of protein and carbs will satisfy your post-workout hunger and will give you the nutrients you need to compliment that hard workout you just put in.
P.S. Make this ahead of time, you don't want to be waiting around for this to cook after your workout!
2 lb chuck rib roast
1 inch ginger, peeled
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
2 Thai chili
3 scallions, cut into 4 inch pieces
2 star anise
5 cups water
1 lb Chinese egg noodles
1/2 lb baby bok choy
2 cups beef broth
4 cups beef sauce
- Cover the chuck rib roast with water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Immediately drain the water. Rinse the meat and wash the pot.
- Return the meat to the pot and add the remaining ingredients for the braised beef (up to the 5 cups water). Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until the chuck roast is fork tender. The meat should fall apart without resistance.
- Remove meat and cut into bite size pieces.
- Strain the beef sauce, discarding the vegetables.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Drain, and rinse.
- Blanch baby bok choy in salted boiling water, cooking for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender. - Drain and shock in ice cold water.
- Combine beef broth with the braising liquid in a medium pot. Bring to a boil.
- Divide the noodles, bok choy and beef into four bowls.
- Add the soup to each bowl and serve hot.