Vanilla Bean and Cardamom Cupcakes with Lemon Pistachio Buttercream Frosting
Cardamom becomes more sweet with someone vanilla bean, and a delicious lemon pistachio frosting!
Yields 22 cupcakes
-1/2 c. butter, softened (114 g)
-1 1/2 c. sugar (300 g)
-1/2 vanilla bean
-2 c. cake flour (223 g)
-1 1/2 t. cardamom
-1 t. baking powder
-1/2 t. baking soda
-pinch of kosher salt
-1 c. buttermilk
-3 egg whites, beaten stiff
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place cupcake liners into a muffin pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and the beans scraped from half of a vanilla bean together until light and fluffy - about 5 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. With the mixer on low, add half of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture and mix just until it starts to combine.
6. Add half of the buttermilk and mix just until it starts to combine.
7. Add half of the remaining dry ingredients and lightly mix.
8. Add the remaining buttermilk and lightly mix. Add the remaining dry ingredients and lightly mix.
9. With a spatula, fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
10. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full with the cake batter.
11. Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
12. Cool completely.
Lemon Pistachio Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
-3 1/2 c. powdered sugar (410 g)
-1 c. butter, softened (227 g)
-1/2 vanilla bean
-1/2 t. cardamom
-1/3 c. cream
-zest from one lemon
-1 c. raw pistachios, chopped
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the powdered sugar and the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 - 5 minutes.
2. Add the beans scraped from the vanilla bean and the cardamom and mix to distribute evenly.
3. Add the cream and beat to combine.
4. Add more, if needed, to create a very light consistency.
5. Add the lemon zest and 2/3 of the chopped pistachios and mix well.
6. Frost the cake or cupcakes, sprinkling the remaining pistachios across the top.