Lemon Sugar Cookie Bars
Yield: 16-24 bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the bars:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 large lemon
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the lemon cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
Zest of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mash together granulated sugar and lemon zest.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and and lemon sugar mixture together until combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
5. Evenly spread the cookie dough into the prepared pan with a spatula. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the bars are slightly set in the middle. You don't want the bars to brown. Remove from the oven and let the bars cool completely.
6. While the bars are cooling, make the lemon cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Mix until smooth.
7. Frost the cooled cookie bars with lemon cream cheese frosting. I always have a little frosting leftover, but use as much as you like! Decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles, if desired. Cut the bars into squares and serve.
Note-store bars in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Recipe and photos from: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/lemon-sugar-cookie-bars/