These turtle pull-apart cupcakes are a simple, fun way to make a cake that will wow everyone who sees it! You can make it with a box mix to save time for decorating, or make any of your favorite cupcake recipes to replace the box mix.
-1 box yellow or devil's food cake mix (you can also use your favorite cake recipe, but using a box recipe can save you time!)
-Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 batch vanilla frosting (you can make your own, or buy your favorite store brand!)
-Green food color
-1 batch chocolate frosting
-4 green candy-coated chocolate candies
-4 brown miniature candy-coated chocolate candies, if desired
-1 piece red string licorice
-1 green licorice twist, cut in half
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes (or, prepare your own recipe for 24 cupcakes).
2. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3. In small bowl, mix vanilla frosting and green food color until desired shade.
4. Place 1/4 cup green frosting and 1/4 cup chocolate frosting in separate small resealable plastic freezer bags; seal bags. Cut small tip from corner of each bag; set aside.
5. On each of 2 large serving trays, arrange 12 cupcakes as shown in the final picture.
6. Frost shell of one turtle with chocolate frosting. Frost head and feet with green frosting. (Push cupcakes together slightly to frost entire turtle, not just individual cupcakes.)
7. Pipe green frosting on chocolate shell to create turtle design.
8. Add 2 candies for eyes; add pupils using chocolate frosting. Add nostrils with chocolate frosting or miniature chocolate candies.
9. Add red string licorice for mouth (trimming to fit) and green licorice for tail.
10. Frost remaining cupcakes with green frosting for shell and chocolate frosting for head and feet. Pipe chocolate frosting on green shell to create turtle design.
11. Add 2 candies for eyes; add pupils using chocolate frosting. Add nostrils with green frosting or miniature chocolate candies. Add red string licorice for mouth (trimming to fit) and green licorice for tail.
12. Store loosely covered.