Next time you want to make an adorable cupcake for a family party, try these "hamburger" cupcakes! So cute :) I used muffin tins for the brownies so I wouldn't have to cut as much later on. The less fuss, the better! You can make this recipe with a box mix, or with your favorite cupcake recipe :)
(Makes 24 cupcakes)
- 1 (648g) yellow cake mix box
- 2 (581g) boxes of fudge brownie mix **the measurement on the box doesn’t have to be exact, as long as you can yield 24 small brownies from the batch, you’re good.
- 2 cups icing
- 7-9 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/2-1 tsp. red gel food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp. green gel food coloring
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 24 deli toothpicks
1. Prepare the yellow cake mix as directed on the back of the box. Using cupcake liners is a must.
2. Once baked and out of the oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds and allow them to fully cool; proceed to remove all of the cupcake liners and discard them.
3. Slice each cupcake in half horizontally to give the look of a “hamburger bun.”
4. Next, prepare the brownie batter as directed on the box.
5. Using muffin tins, pour roughly an inch or two of batter into each hole and bake for 7-10 minutes at the it gives temperature on the box.
6. Allow brownies to fully cool on a wire cooling rack.
7. For dying the icing, you will want 1 cup of the yellow icing and 1 cup of the red icing, to act as your mustard and ketchup. Add the yellow dye to one cup of the icing and the red to the other cup in separate bowls until the colors generally match those of the condiments desired.
8. Lastly before assembling, place the coconut and green gel food coloring in a ziplock bag. Shake it vigorously until the color is coating all of the coconut—you’re going for the appearance of lettuce.
Now you’re ready for assembly!!
9. Grab one of the hamburger bun cupcakes and one of the brownies. Spread a generous spoonful of yellow icing on the top part of the bottom half of the cupcake, then spread the same amount of red icing on top of the brownie.
10. Place the brownie icing-side-up on top of the yellow-iced bun.
11. Sprinkle a large pinch of coconut on top of the red icing, then place the top half of the hamburger bun on top.
12. Insert a deli toothpick through the top center of the cupcake.
13. Repeat with remaining ingredients until you have 24 hamburger-like cupcakes in front of you, ready to be devoured.
14. Dig in!