Fennel seeds give a sweet licorice flavor to cupcakes; they are chewed after meals to refresh breath! Try these cupcakes to refresh yourself :)
Ingredients (yields 18 cupcakes):
1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. finely crushed fennel seeds
For the frosting:
1 cup cream cheese softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tbsp. licorice flavored liquor
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lightly crushed fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
2. Fill muffin pan with 18 baking cups.
3. Combine all cupcake ingredients in medium bowl and beat until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Spoon the batter into the cups.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
7. Remove and cool on a rack.
To make the frosting:
1. Combine cream cheese and confectioners' sugar.
2. Beat briskly until soft and creamy.
3. Add liquor and vanilla, stir well.
4. Swirl onto top of cupcakes and decorate with fennel seeds.
Store for up to 3 days in airtight container, or freeze for 3 months.
Recipe adapted from 500 Cupcakes.