Rhubarb and ginger might seem like an unlikely combination, but they are actually decadently delicious when combined!
1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. buttermilk
1 cup cooked rhubarb
1 cup cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tbsp. roughly chopped candied ginger
1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
2. Line 18 cups with paper liners.
3. Combine all the cupcake ingredients, except the rhubarb, in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Spoon the batter into the cups.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
7. Remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack
8. Hollow out a small hole in each cake and fill with 1 tsp. rhubarb.
For the frosting:
1. Combine the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar.
2. Beat briskly until soft and creamy.
3. Add the lime juice, ground ginger and candied ginger and mix well.
4. Spoon onto the cupcakes.
Store unfrosted in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
cupcake adapted from 500 Cupcakes.