Basic Hummingbird Cupcakes with Marmalade Frosting
A southern classic, these are one kind of cupcake you must know how to make! Hints of cinnamon, banana and more make for a delicious cake to go with a simple frosting.
Yields 1 dozen.
1 1/4 cups all-purpouse flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (2 medium) mashed bananas
1 1/2 tbsp. grated orange zest
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup flaked coconut
For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) sweet butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp. orange marmalade
1. Preheat oven to 350F(175C).
2. Place 12 baking cups in a pan.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl.
4. In large bowl, cream sugar and oil together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Beat the eggs in slowly, then stir in the dry ingredients in 3 batches.
6. Add everything else until combined.
7. Spoon into cups.
8. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove and cool for five minutes. Move to cooling rack.
To make frosting:
1. Beat the butter in a medium bowl.
2. Add sugar and orange juice, beating until smooth.
3. Add marmalade, or save it for garnish.
4. Spread or dollop frosting onto cupcakes (and garnish with marmalade if desired).
Store unfrosted in an airtight contained for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe adapted from 500 Cupcakes