This would work great for any occasion--they're a very simple treat to make, but I love them most for bridal and baby showers because of how easy you can get a beautiful, bite-sized pastel colored bit!
Springtime Petits Fours
-1 10 3/4 ounce loaf frozen pound cake, thawed (Or, like me, you can make your own pound cake and freeze it just for this occasion!)
- 3 tablespoons jam or preserves (such as seedless strawberry, red raspberry, or blackberry; apricot; peach; or cherry) or curd (such as lemon or lime)
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon milk
-1/4 teaspoon almond extract
-Food coloring (optional)
-Small decorative candies
1. Using a serrated knife, cut pound cake into 1x1-inch chunks. Cut cake chunks into 1x1x1/2-inch pieces.
2. Spread a small amount of jam between the of each square to create 3 layers mini cakes.
3. Place stacked cakes on a wire rack set over waxed paper.
4. For icing, in a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon milk, and almond extract.
5. Stir in 2 to 3 teaspoons additional milk to make of thin glazing consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring.
6. Spoon icing over tops of cake squares. Sprinkle with decorative candies. Let stand until icing is set.