These are too adorable! Make your own spectacular summer treat with just a bit of extra work past your traditional cupcake :)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract for the frosting
- 1 batch of buttercream (I recommend this one: http://www.vingle.net/posts/456735-Ultimate-Vanilla-Buttercream-Recipe)
- few drops of food coloring
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 18 party drink parasols
- 18 sticks fruit-striped candy, cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (175˚C). Place 18 paper baking cups in muffin pans.
2. Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Spoon the mixture into the cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Remove the pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a rack.
5. Leave 2/3 of the frosting white. Tint the other 1/3 ocean blue.
6. For each cupcake: Frost 2/3 of the top with white frosting and sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs for the beach. Frost the other 1/3 with blue frosting, creating “waves” with a knife.
7. Lay the candy on the diagonal across the “sand” for a beach towel and insert the parasol at an angle to make the beach umbrella.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen