There are a ton of places when fishing with chatterbaits is the right choice:
* stained water!
* shallow water!
* shad along the bank
* around laydowns and docks
* around grass is particularly effective because sunfish and crawfish hang out there (use a darker bait with some orange, slow-rolling through the grass)
* on deep ledges where fish are waiting to ambush
* slow rolled in 15 to 20ft of water like a spinnerbait
* in the fall, in creeks the chatter bait can really attract them
* in holes in the grass, especially when the bass are bedding there