This is one of my childhood favourites and an all-time summer favourite. Why don't you give it a go?
For the topping
50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapples rings in syrup, drained and syrup
For the cake
100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. For the topping, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
3. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin.
4. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings.
5. Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency.
6. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s level.
7. Bake for 35 mins.
8. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate.
9. Serve warm with a scoop of ice crew (optional).