Now that I am considered a grown-up by most of society (though I certainly don't see myself that way) I have been paying more and more attention to whether or not I am taking care of others around me. The best way to care for others, especially strangers, is through random acts of kindness.
I have listed 15 simple ways to practice kindness. You'll find that the more you practice, the more that kindness will become second nature to you. Kindness is the best habit to have!
1. Smile. They're contagious.
2. Write hand-written thank-you notes. The notes don't need to be an essay and people love to receive them. It's the personal touch.
3. If you use public transportation, and there are no free seats, be the first to stand-up and offer your seat to someone who needs it.
4. Pay it forward - When you are in a coffee shop or café , maybe you could buy a coffee or cake in advance for the next customer that comes in. Imagine what a surprise that person will get when they discover a kind stranger has paid it forward for them.
5. Share a conversation. Spend some time. Listen. Engage. We often are so busy that we don't take the time to do important things like this. Ask someone about their day and really listen to them.
6. Send flowers unexpectedly. No reason needed.
7. Hold doors open. Even for people who are a little further away from the door than usual.
8. Ask elderly neighbours if they need anything done.
9. Tell your loved ones that you love them. Regularly.
10. When you are served in a shop, bar, restaurant etc, make eye contact and sincerely thank the employee for their help.
11. Put coins in a meter, any meter, that's about to expire.
12. Stop complaining.
13. Forgive a driver for their error on the road or their road rage directed at you.
14. Give Blood.
15. "Please" and "Thank You."