For all the astrology nuts out there you already know it’s that time of year again, Mercury is in retrograde which wreaks havoc with your life and especially your relationships.
If you aren’t familiar what “Mercury in retrograde” basically boils down to is between October 4th and 25th this year, and can cause a lot of trouble for you. To quote the almanac.com: "Sometimes the other planets appear to be traveling backward through the zodiac; this is an illusion. We call this illusion retrograde motion. Mercury's retrograde periods can cause our plans to go awry.”
And this article has some helpful tips to keep your wits about you when life gets crazy. Here’s a summary of the article which you can read in full if you’re interested (I do highly recommend it!).
Don’t Try to Be “Just Friends” With an Ex
● This time of the zodiac cycle is infamous for bringing old flames back into your life. Maybe a bad breakup suddenly adds you on Facebook, or your on again off again boyfriend from college texts you out of the blue. Whoever it is you may be thinking that you’re passed the bad feelings and ready to see them again. Think again, you may very well be complete over them but when Mercury retrogrades it clouds your feelings and you won’t be able to separate the past from the present.
Clear Your Browsing History
● Maybe you’re feeling the need to snoop on some old flings, and a little social media stalking is fine in small doses as long as you remember that your partner will likely find out. Take the honest approach and just tell them to avoid hurt feelings or misunderstandings. And likewise, if you see something in your partner’s browser history, don’t bite their head off.
● Don’t jump to conclusions, especially when it comes to romance. Say your guy is hanging at your place and mentions an interest is traveling abroad for three months. This isn’t reason to panic and text his sister! Stay calm and casual and just ask what his thoughts are on it. The same goes for the rest of your life. Just because someone says something doesn’t mean you need to take it as the word of God. Keep calm and communicate.
Save The Sexting Until November
● Passing no judgements on how you choose to communicate with your partner, but while Mercury is in retrograde information, especially digital information has a way of leading out. This could be anything from an unfortunately timed “candid” photo to the wrong person going through your recent texts. Just be cautious until Mercury sorts itself out.
Stay Off of Dating Apps and Sites If You’ve Found a Good Catch
● We all get curious and see what options might be out there. Maybe you don’t even care, maybe you’re just looking for a bit of a laugh. But if you’re already in a good relationship, this isn’t the time to be looking around.
● It’s always a good idea to reassure your partner, but it’s especially important during Mercury’s retrograde while we’re all a little extra sensitive. And if you’re feeling a little insecure, you might just need to ask for some extra love. I particularly love the article’s example of a young child asking very directly, “Mommy, I want some attention.” Sometimes you just need to say it, no whining and no complaining.
Be Sexually Sentient
● Mercury in retrograde is all about communication. Our thoughts get muddled and our tongues get tied and twisted. You’re going to need to do a lot more reading between the lines to help your partner out when the communication breaks down. Be patient, and be loving.
Take a Nostalgic Voyage
● If you can’t seem to avoid the misunderstandings, the miscommunication, and all the drama of retrograde Mercury it might be time for a little “me time.” A change of scenery can help clear your head and choosing someplace nostalgic can put you back in a happier mindset.
Remember, You’re Riding A Rollercoaster
● When things get retrograde levels of crazy it can feel like it will never end, but remember that it will. Relationships are about ups and downs, and this too will pass.